Ramp Anti Slip Coating
Epoxy coating and grit for resurfacing ramps
Property Repair Systems is OPEN FOR BUSINESS - 01626 872886
Speak to real anti skid people about ramps and road plates
Epoxy Seal Coating - for ramps and gangways, to bond grit to the surface for skid resistance
Summary - how to coat a steel ramp
1. Pressure Wash and epoxy solvent clean - surfaces should be mud, dust and grease free
2. Warm if possible in the Winter - using a dry source of heat (not bottled gas)
3. Apply resin - Epoxy Seal Coat Clear - 1 mm thick - about 1 litre per square metre - use a medium pile roller, brush or squeegee
4. Apply grit - Grit Grade Mixed 1 - 3mm - at 2.5kgs per square metre.
Typical road plate - 8' x 4' - 1.83m x 1.22m = 2.23 square metres, allow 2.5 litres of resin and 6kgs of mixed grit.
How much resin do I need to re-grit a steel range or gangway
Epoxy Seal Coat is supplied in the Ramp and Road Plate Kits at 2.5 litres per 8' x 4' plate, (2.23 square metres), but it can be purchased separately in 1 litre, 2.5 litre and 5 litre packs.
Allow up to 1 litre per square metre (max. 1mm of resin thickness) for mixed Grit size 1 - 3mm
Accessories: Epoxy Cleaner 250cc, rubber squeegee
Re-gritting a steel Ramp - throw the grit upwards in handfuls, to avoid wasteful 'clumping'
How to re-coat friction surfaces on Ramps or Gangways
1. Strip any existing loose grit with a wire brush or angle grinder, grit blast or needle gun.
3. Strip the bare surface or bald spots to clean bare metal.
4. Clean with our Epoxy Cleaner 250cc to ensure that no oil or grease remains in the metal.
5. Regrind if necessary to eliminate any solvent cleaner smear film. Wipe over with a clean White Cloth.
6. Wipe thoroughly again with the White Cloth - if any dark marks appear on the White Cloth repeat steps 4 - 6 until the cloth remains perfectly white - this is the secret of success - any dirt left on, no matter how little, with reduce the resin bond and lead to bald patches, where the resin has fallen off.
6. Lay clean cardboard or plastic sheeting around the edges of the plate to catch aggregate (grit) that falls off during coating, for re-use.
7. In the Winter, or for cold conditions, heat the metal with dry heat - use electrical heaters with fans. Avoid gas heating (particularly Propane), because of the water produced, which can cause condensation on the steel and loss of adhesion. Maintain background heat until the resin is completely hard. This may take up to 2 days during cold weather. Lack of heat may also allow condensation to form on the resin and the aggregate (grit) may then fail to bond properly.
8. Apply Epoxy Seal Coat Clear with a smooth plastic spreader, roller, squeegee or brush, to a depth of 1mm.
9. Apply clean, dust free Aggregate (grit) to the adhesive so that cover is complete, with some excess. Pat the aggregate (grit) into the resin very firmly with a clean wooden or metal object (plastering float, batten, cricket bat), or use a piece of clean hard plastic material. It is not necessary to apply another coat of resin, as long as the first coat is thick enough and the aggregate (grit) is fully bedded in.
10. Leave to cure for at least 24 hours, subject to temperatures being above 15 degrees C at all times. Maintain the heating for the whole period.
Accessories: Epoxy Cleaner 250cc
IMPORTANT NOTES - applying resin to Steel Ramps and Gangways
TROUBLESHOOTING STEEL RAMP OR ROAD PLATE RE-GRIT
Grits for metals - ramp and gangway anti slip coating, relining road plates, potato peelers, recoating brake rollers, blasting and refinishing
Prime quality fused Alumac produced from stringently controlled raw materials form the most durable grit surfaces for Brake Rollers.
Al203 content 94 -99%.
Packed in plastic tubs.
Grade 12, 2mm - 3mm, or Grade 16, 1mm - 2mm, or Mixed Grade 1mm - 3mm.
Grit Required per square metre, average:
Allow 2.5kgs per square metre
Typical Grit Sizes used:
Potato Peelers - 24 Grit
Class 4 Rollers - 12 or 16 Grit
Class 5 Rollers - 12 or 16 Grit
Class 7 Rollers - Mixed Grit 1 - 3mm (natural aggregate)
Ramps, Gangways, Walkways and Steel Road Plates - Mixed Grit 1 - 3mm (natural aggregate)
Grit to excess and collect for re-use. When dry brush off excess grit.
Call us 01626 872886 for calculation of your Ramp, Gangway, Walkway, Road Plate, Potato Peeler or Brake Roller cleaning and finishing needs.
Discuss the Grades of Grit available to ensure satisfaction.
Property Repair Systems
T: 01626 872886
E: Mail us email@example.com
Site written by: David Moore
David Moore, B.A. (Hons.), C.T.I.S., C.R.D.S. Technical Author
Other Property Repair Systems Sites:
www.boron.org.uk - how to use Boron based insecticides/fungicides to treat timber rots and insect attack
www.dampness-info.co.uk - how to treat penetrating dampness in walls and plaster
www.deck-treatment.co.uk - how to treat patio decks and yacht decks
www.dryrot.biz - how to kill Dry Rot in buildings
www.drywallandfloor.co.uk - membranes for lining damp walls, floors, basements and cellars
www.fire-door-paint.co.uk - upgrade doors to 30 minutes fire resistance
www.joist-repair.co.uk - how to quickly repair joists and beams of any size
www.propertyrepairsystems.co.uk - our Home Site
www.steel-fire-paint.co.uk - treat steel with Intumescent Paint to provide fire protection
www.timber.org.uk - systems of repair, with step by step methods
www.timber-repair.co.uk - how to repair timber beams
www.woodworm-info.co.uk - how to kill and prevent woodworm and death watch beetle
www.woodworm-expert-advice-forum.org.uk - all your questions and our answers about woodworm treatment DIY